Tuesday 18 October 2011

I'm back!

Salaam all

Apologies for the very long time since the last blog! I have not had much time to pursue the progressive Muslim framework but will get back there eventually!

As you know, the point of these blogs are to provide an insight into how scholars think, thereby providing a basis for the the ultimate struggle towards understanding what Allah wants us to do in this world. I have done this so far by:

1. Giving an overview of methodology used by some of the most famous Shi'i scholars of the recent age on a range of rulings (paraphrasing their work but keeping their structure)

2. Providing examples of the discussions on the framework used (the usul al-fiqh)

3. Finally, discussing some of the alternative frameworks out there (progressive Muslims) - but I have left this one up in the air still!


I will come back to number 3, but I believe that it would still be beneficial to provide further examples of number 1 to help understand how Shi'i scholars derive rulings. My plan is the following:

- Discussion on rationale for Shi'i view of Wudu - my summary of the various opinions by the scholars (but not my view)

- Discussion on prayer time - Salat al-Asr in Shi'i fiqh

- The theological principle of raj'ah in Shi'i fiqh (- maybe...)


Following blogs on the above topics, I have been requested to discuss some of my own personal views on the topics below:

- The problems with expecting "unity" to be a major impact in deriving Islamic law in the current methodological framework

- My understanding of the reform movement within traditoinal Islamic law


If anyone has any other ideas, please do get in touch - and it would be great to have some feedback as I go along! (The lack of feedback made me think that people were not interested....whereas that may not have actually been the case!)

No comments:

Post a Comment